How do I check a babysitter's references?
Do not hire a sitter when you cannot check references! (Do
not hire a stranger, even if they took a babysitting preparation
- Call the person who gave you the sitter's name and ask
questions. The young person may be a family friend or
relative of the referring person or a parent who has actually used
- Put the person at ease about your motives. Ask for
general information. If the parent has actually used the
sitter, ask for the ages of their children, the frequency of
sitting, and the usual length of the job.
- Explain your situation, such as the ages of your children,
frequency of sitting needed, and special considerations.
- Ask specific questions, such as
- Do your children like the sitter?
- Did the sitter follow the house rules?
- Has there ever been an unpleasant incident?
- Is there anything else you need to know?
- Pay attention to your instincts about trustworthiness and fit
with your child/children.