Preparing for Spring and Summer Safe Sitter® Classes
It’s no surprise Safe Sitter® classes are more popular during the warmer months. Kids are out of school, and parents are looking to keep their kids’ summer brains active with educational activities. Even more so, parents want them to be able to safely stay home alone or watch younger siblings while they’re at work all day.
That’s why you must plan ahead if you want to take advantage of this golden time to teach. Right now, families are thinking about or preparing their summer activities and vacations. If you get the word out early about your classes, parents can make registering their child for Safe Sitter® a part of their plans. Here are tips to help you with your top two priorities:
- Post specifics about your classes (date and time) on your website, not just the fact that you offer Safe Sitter®. Make sure the registration process is easy, and easy to find. If you don’t make information about your classes very visible on your website, you’ll have a hard time filling them.
- Visit our Program Marketing Page. You’ll see flyers you can co-brand with your organization’s logo and customize with your class dates, times, and contact information. If you would like us to create a customized flyer, submit a completed Marketing Request Form. This service is free!
- When promoting classes, emphasize that Safe Sitter® is more than just babysitting training. The current reality is that more kids than ever are staying home alone or watching younger siblings and the Safe Sitter® curriculum prepares them with the safety skills they need and parents want them to have. Want to learn more about recruiting students? Check out Ready…Set…RECRUIT! and Using Social Media to Recruit Students for tips on how to effectively share this message, including suggested text for social media posts and other methods to get the word out about your classes.
- Parents are registering at the last minute so set your registration deadline at least one week before class and plan to order a few extra student materials to accommodate those late registrants.
- Order as early as possible for your classes. At least two weeks in advance of class is a good rule of thumb. You’ll avoid extra shipping fees as well as the headaches that come with last-minute planning.
- Review the Student Course and Instructor materials then download a price list and submit your order using our online order form.
- Make sure your Instructors have a copy of the new Instructor Manual. This is important! The updated curriculum includes scripts and specific questions to ask during guided discussions. Instructors need to follow along with the manual to keep pace with the slides in the new digital presentation, which enhances class for students by acting as a visual aid.
- Each student must have a copy of the new Student Handbook.
- If you have questions about ordering, check out our FAQ.
As a Site Coordinator, you keep your Safe Sitter® program running. With the work you put into promoting your classes and making sure supplies are provided to Instructors, you’re the gas that fuels the car. Don’t stall out during the busiest time of year and miss the opportunity to teach more teens. Start planning your spring and summer classes now.