Guidelines for 2020 Safe Sitter® Classes
As businesses begin to reopen, students will be eager to take Safe Sitter® courses and organizations will be ready to open their doors for community education again. Safe Sitter® exists to build safer communities and with new guidelines in response to COVID-19, we want to help you ensure the classroom experience is safe as well.
As you prepare to host classes again, please follow your organization’s policies, including those regarding space capacity, social distancing, and cleaning and disinfecting equipment. In addition, follow and enforce CDC guidelines, specifically those for communities, schools, and workplaces.
In addition, Safe Sitter, Inc. recommends the following: Ensure adequate classroom space to allow for physical distancing.
- Schedule classes with no more than 6-8 students.
- Ensure students have easy access to a sink for handwashing or hand sanitizer. Encourage handwashing often.
- Adjust the class schedule to eliminate the lunch portion of the class. Ask parents to feed their child prior to the class.
- Use the digital games available on Instructor Resources instead of sharing game pieces.
- Adapt the handshaking portion of the class to focus on eye contact and greeting skills, eliminating the handshake.
- Ensure latex gloves are available for students to wear during any manikin practice, including diapering.
- When teaching choking rescue, skip the practice cough.
- If you normally teach Safe Sitter® Essentials with CPR you may want to eliminate the CPR portion of the class to reduce class time. If you are teaching CPR, do not practice breathing skills on manikins, practice chest compressions only.
- Complete the graduation ceremony with students only. Do not invite family members to return for the ceremony. Email a copy of the Parent Letter to the student’s parent.
If you have any questions about teaching Safe Sitter® classes, contact your Program Support Specialist or email email@example.com.