When Things Go Wrong: Poisoning

When I took Safe Sitter®, I learned that any product or substance that can harm someone if used in the wrong way, by the wrong person, or in the wrong amount is a poison. It’s scary to think about!

Learning that made me a better babysitter. I became more cautious of what was in the bag I took to my babysitting jobs. A lot of the stuff I keep in my backpack for school every day could be poisonous to the kids I’m babysitting. If you think the kids your babysitting will respect your space and stay out of your stuff, you’re wrong. Kids are curious and may not know your bag is off limits, so make sure you remove any potential poisons before your babysitting job.

To learn more about what can be poisonous and what to do if you suspect a child has taken something that might be a poison, check out this video.

Today we’re going to talk about poison. In fairytales, biting the poison apple is a nice way to get some sleep, maybe even meet a prince. But in real life, eating something poisonous can make you gag, vomit, or even stop breathing. But what is poison?

Like, unless you live at Hogwarts and your name is Ron Weasley, you don’t really have to worry about poisoning. Right? Wrong!

Any substance that can harm someone if used in the wrong way by the wrong person or in the wrong amount, is a poison.

Your acne cream? Yep, that could be poison.

Your pain reliever? You got it! Potential poison.

Number two pencil? Not poison, but still dangerous. I’ve seen John Wick.

But Lexi, I’m not going to eat my acne cream, you say. Of course not, but you know who might eat it? That three-year-old you’re babysitting!

You see, kids are curious and sometimes they put things in their mouths, especially if it looks like it might be candy or chocolate or if it smells good. Makeup, creams or lotions, mouthwash … any of them could be poisonous if used in the wrong way or in the wrong amount.

Medicines and vitamins can be poisonous as well. Yes, vitamins. Some adult or prenatal vitamins have so much iron that it could be poisonous to a young child.

The best way to prevent poisoning as a babysitter is to not carry things in your purse, backpack, or pockets that could harm a young child. That includes pills, perfumes, cosmetics, nail polish, and even small batteries.

If a child you’re babysitting does get into something that could be poisonous and immediately gags, vomits, get sleepy, has trouble breathing, has a seizure, or loses consciousness, call 9-1-1. That is an emergency.

If a child gets into something that could be poisonous but doesn’t do any of that, call Poison Control right away at 1-800-222-1222 and have the container available. Poison Center operators will tell you whether or not there is a problem and what to do.

To learn more about how to deal with injuries or illnesses while you’re babysitting, take a Safe Sitter® babysitting class. Go to safesitter.org to find a class near you.

Check out more Babysitter Boss videos.

A lot can go wrong when you’re babysitting. Learn what to do if a child gets a bloody nose.

If you haven’t taken a Safe Sitter® class, find one near you!

Babysitter Boss

Babysitter Boss

Babysitter Boss is a YouTube series by Safe Sitter, Inc. that tells you everything you need to know about babysitting. Subscribe to the channel on YouTube and never miss an episode!
Babysitter Boss

Latest posts by Babysitter Boss (see all)